Winners of the 2014 Plastics Industry Awards were announced last week by comedian Al Murray at a sell-out black-tie awards ceremony held at the London Hilton on Park Lane. Europe’s largest manufacturer of rigid plastic packaging, RPC Group, won the coveted Processor of the Year trophy as well as the Best Training and Development Programme award for a project at its Oakham site. Meanwhile the green credentials of Logoplaste UK were recognised by the judges who awarded the manufacturer first place in the Best Environmental or Energy Efficiency Programme category for the second year in a row. Logoplaste also won the new category Best Recycled Plastic Product of the Year. The Plastics Industry Awards have been running for 14 years now.
Plastics Industry Awards 2014 winners:
- Apprentice or Trainee of the Year
Leon Hill of toolmaker UCP Zeller
- Young Designer of the Year
Thomas Hamilton for Zebro, an emergency trauma splint for immobilizing an injured leg. The polypropylene plastic shell wraps around the casualty’s leg.
- Consumer Product Design of the Year
HJC Design – for the InnertrakPowerhoop, a specialized fitness hoop with adjustable weights
- Industrial Product Design of the Year
Boddingtons Plastics – Fernox TF1 Compact, a compact in-line filter for domestic heating systems
- Best Technology Application of the Year
Linpac Packaging for Rfresh Elite a fully recyclable pack made from recycled material.
- Best Training & Development Programme of the Year
RPC Containers Oldham for its in-house apprenticeship scheme
- Best Environmental or Energy Efficiency Programme of the Year
Logoplaste UK for its work on scrap reduction, cutting carbon footprints, product lightweighting, and site zero-to-landfill initiatives.
- Best Business Initiative of the Year
G&A Moulding Technology for development of the Level 3 Polymer Operations qualification
- Best Recycled Plastic Product of the Year
LogoplasteUK/Ecover – The Ocean Bottle, a washing up liquid bottle made using plastic waste recovered from the sea.
- Processor of the Year
RPC Group Europe’s largest manufacturer of rigid plastics packaging, which recently passed the £1billion turnover mark.
- Supplier Partnership – Polymer Distributor of the Year
Hardie Polymers for its work with Rosti UK on the cash cassette product manufactured for NCR’s ATM cash machines.
- Supplier Partnership – Ancillary Machinery
TH Plastics for its work with Naylor Drainage to supply a complete new pelletising line to pelletise Naylor’s scrap polymer flake so it could be reused.
- Supplier Partnership – Masterbatch/Compound/Additive
Matrix Plastics for its work with Floreon-Transforming Packaging to develop an impact modified biopolymer.
- Supplier Partnership – Polymer Producer
Petlon Polymers for its work with Ricoh UK Products, supplying a grade of recycled flame retardant PET for toner cartridge production.
- Supplier Partnership – Prime Machinery
Ferromatik Milacron for its work with RPC Group on its in-house apprenticeship scheme.
- Supplier Partnership – Toolmaker
Sprint Tool & Die for its work with Ricoh UK to improve cycle times, cut wastage and increase profitability for an eight impression shutter mould tool.
- Personal Contribution Award
Peter Davis, recently retired director general of the British Plastics Federation