Cannon-Sandretto plastics collection re-opens

1561
  • Cannon owns one of the World’s largest collections of antique plastic objects
  • Collection ranging from the early Ebonite, Celluloid to Casein plastic

Closed for some time for a substantial restoration, the Cannon – Sandretto Plastics Collection re-opened in Pont Canavese, near Turin, Italy on Sunday, June 7, 2015. Hundreds of antique plastic objects are again displayed in seven refurbished rooms.

Cannon owns one of the World’s largest collections of antique plastic objects

Cannon owns one of the World’s largest collections of antique plastic objects, hosted in an elegant 19th century villa in Pont Canavese. The town of Pont is located at the foot of the Alps and was once at the centre of an important network of roads that crossed the mountains, a place to trade and meet different cultures. The villa was originally the guesthouse for the Sandretto factory. The building required significant renovation and this, of course, was incompatible with keeping the Cannon – Sandretto Plastics Museum open to visitors.

Collection ranging from the early Ebonite, Celluloid to Casein plastic

After several years of intense refurbishing, the site has been reopened. It is now a non-profit cultural organisation known as the “Cannon – Sandretto Plastics Collection – Civilization of Plastics”. Seven rooms host one of the richest collections of objects made in plastic materials, ranging from the early Ebonite, Celluloid, Casein plastic, Urea-Formaldehyde and Bakelite to the most modern technopolymers. New graphics, timelines and visual displays help the visitor familiarise with the history of polymers, the main types of plastics and their applications.



Related Articles & Comments

Comments are closed.