- Worldwide largest event dedicated to Wood-Plastic Composites (WPC) & Natural Fibre Composites (NFC)
- Focus on material development trends in automotive
- Includes Wood and Natural Fibre Composite Award 2015
On 16–17 December 2015 the largest conference on Wood-Plastic Composites (WPC) and Natural Fibre Composites (NFC) worldwide will take place for the sixth time in Cologne, Germany. Leading suppliers of the automotive sector, namely Corbion Purac, Toyota Boshoku Europe, Yanfeng Europe and PolyOne Global Engineered Materials will present the latest trends in material development:
- Biocomposites in the Automotive Industry, Markets and Environment
Michael Carus , Nova-Institute (DE)
- Natural Fiber Reinforced Components for Vehicle Interior, Status and Next Development
Dr. Werner Klusmeier, Yanfeng Europe Automotive Interior Systems Limited & Co. KG
- High Heat PLA 100% Biobased Natural Fiber Filled Compounds
François de Bie, Corbion Purac BV (NL), together with Francesca Brunori, Röchling Automotive SE & Co. KG
- Sustainable Lightweight Material in Automotive Industry: Simultaneous Back Injection Moulding of Natural Fiber Composites
Tayfun Buzkan, Toyota Boshoku Europe N.V.
- Natural Fibre-reinforced Polymers – a Sustainable Material for Lightweight Constructions?
Prof. Dr.-Ing. Jörg Müssig, Hochschule Bremen, City University of Applied Sciences Bremen
- Sustainable Lightweighting Thermoplastic Solutions for Automotives
Marc Mézailles , PolyOne Global Engineered Materials
- WPCs based on Engineering Polymers
Eva Sykacek, University of Natural Resources and Life Sciences
- Effect of Esterification Reactions with Lignin on the Performance of Lignin/HDPE Composites
Dr. Nicole M. Stark, U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service
- A Novel Wood-Plastic-Composite based on Thermoplastic Polyurethane
Sylvia Diestel, University of Hamburg
In addition, Katharina Haag from City University of Applied Sciences Bremen shows new long hemp fibre granulates for automotive applications, which are produced without compounding, achieving unique visual effects with injection moulding. The automotive supplier HIB Trim Part Solutions (DE) is offering these new granulates on the market.
Wood and Natural Fibre Composite Award 2015
One of the highlights of the biannual conference will be the award presentation of the “Wood and Natural Fibre Composite Award”. Companies were invited to submit their recently or soon to be launched products for the award that highlights new materials and products from the field of WPC and NFC.
Following companies have been nominated:
Aqvacomp Oy and Flaxwood Oy (FI)
- Cellulose fibre reinforced polystyrene for music instruments
Easily tailored, the composites have the potential to replace the use of a number of rare and threatened wood species. Several recipes have been developed for different musical instruments with different property profiles, for example is a composite replacing granadilla in a clarinet. The components have very good thermal and humidity resistance, reducing the typical tuning problems of wooden instruments.
Bcomp Ltd (CH)
- Flax grid fabric for reinforcement of thin-walled light weight composite parts
The novel natural fibre composite solution for automotive interior components has a higher price-performance-ratio than composites currently on the market due to its powerRibs technology (patented). The flax grid fabric can be combined with all types of structural materials, such as carbon fibre composites, glass fibre composites or non-woven natural fibre composites.
HIB TRIM PART SOLUTIONS GmbH (DE)
- Nature 50 – long fibre for injection moulding with a cold-press method
These long fibre pellets with more than 50% hemp fibre content, polypropylene and additives are produced with pellet technology. They can be used for injection moulded parts with standard machines and standard tools as a substitution of PC/ABS with 20% glass fibre content. Their fibre structure gives them a unique look and makes them suitable for use outside the automotive industry.
Millvision BV (NL)
- Biocomposite with agro rest fibres
The flower pots made from agro rest fibres and bio-based plastics are price competitive and can be used pots for tree nurseries and raising flowers. They are are cold soil biodegradable (within several months) when placed in the ground. This new pot acts as fertilizer, improves plant growth and prevents plastic waste from oil based containers.
ONORA BV (NL)
- Bio-based coffin in injection moulding technology
The environmental impact of this fibre-enhanced bio-based plastic is significantly lower than the impact of conventional coffins. The product is injection moulded which allows for more freedom of design and a variety of shape and colour. The bio-based compound makes the coffin biodegradable and is an example for new large-volume applications of biocomposites.
Plasthill Oy (FI)
- Kareline natural fibre composite and stainless steel
The handle of the new Kupilka knife is made from Kareline Natural Fibre Composite which gives it a good grip and a smooth-to-the-touch surface, thus ensuring safe handling of the knife. The blade is made from high quality stainless steel. The magnetic locking mechanism of the knife is unique due to its folding two-piece handle that protects the blade.