Ultralight Class A body panel – SPE Automotive finalist
- SPE Automotive Innovation Awards Competition 2015 finalist – Category: Materials
- OEM Make & Model: 2016 General Motors Co. Chevrolet Corvette sports car
- Tier Supplier/Processor: Continental Structural Plastics
- Material Supplier / Toolmaker: Continental Structural Plastics / Century Tool & Gage, Paragon Die & Engineering Co.
- Material / Process: TCA Ultra Lite SMC / compression molding
- Description: A new 1.2 SG SMC eliminated 9 kg of body-panel weight after a running change from a mid-density grade, where no tooling changes were required. Suitable for Class A or structural components, the new composite offers 28% mass reduction vs. mid-density (1.6 SG) grades and 43% vs. conventional (1.9 SG) SMC. It provides greater benefits vs. metal, including reduced weight and tooling costs, enhanced design flexibility, corrosion and dent resistance, and superior surface finish. Key to achieving the ultralow density was replacement of CACO3 with hollow-glass microspheres and use of a proprietary surface treatment to improve the