Seat fabric from recycled materials – SPE Automotive finalist
- SPE Automotive Innovation Awards Competition 2015 finalist – Category: Environmental
- OEM Make & Model: 2015 Ford Motor Co. Ford F-150 pickup
- Tier Supplier/Processor: Johnson Controls Inc. / Sage Automotive Interiors
- Material Supplier / Toolmaker: Unifi Manufacturing, Inc. / not stated
- Material / Process: Repreve PET / Multiple
- Description: The fiber used in this innovative seat fabric is made from a hybrid blend of 100% recycled materials, including post-industrial fiber and post-consumer water bottles. The fabric meets Ford design and comfort requirements without any compromise in quality, durability, or performance. The switch from virgin fiber was achieved at cost parity, while providing significant environmental benefits, including diverting over 5-million water bottles from landfills just this year. To help close the loop further, there are now PET bottle collection bins installed at the Ford Research & Engineering campus, which are recycled to help form this fiber.