Rear-seat folding head restraint – SPE Automotive finalist
- SPE Automotive Innovation Awards Competition 2015 finalist – Category: Body Interior
- OEM Make & Model: 2015 Ford Motor Co. Ford F-150 pickup
- Tier Supplier/Processor: Windsor Machine Group / Hawk Plastics Ltd.
- Material Supplier / Toolmaker: ExxonMobil Chemical Co. / IRC Engineering
- Material / Process: PP copolymer / injection molding
- Description: This rear seat, folding head restraint eliminates a welded steel structure and replaces it with a single-piece, living hinge plastic core as its main structural component. As a result, thickness is reduced 33 mm for improved comfort and rear visibility; mass is reduced 624 g/vehicle, manufacturing complexity is significantly reduced (eliminating the need for special tooling processes thanks to consolidation of 5 parts into 1); tooling costs are lowered; and piece price is reduced $1.50 USD/vehicle, while still meeting or exceeding all global safety requirements.