PCR cam cover – SPE Automotive finalist
- SPE Automotive Innovation Awards Competition 2015 finalist – Category: Environmental
- OEM Make & Model: 2015 Ford Motor Co. Nano 2.7L and 3.5L IVCT GTDI engines
- Tier Supplier/Processor: ElringKlinger North America, Inc. / Bruss North America Inc.
- Material Supplier / Toolmaker: Wellman Advanced Materials / not stated
- Material / Process: EcoLon GF1960 PA 6/6 (100% PCR) / injection molding
- Description: This is the first time a 100% post-consumer recycled PA 6/6 resin with 33% short-glass reinforcement has been used for a demanding cam cover application to replace diecast aluminum. The PCR PA 6/6 offered excellent weldability to attach a high-efficiency air-oil separator and was molded in very-thin walls (to 2.0 mm for the Nano-model cover). The result is a part that is 30% lighter than incumbent aluminum, offers lower NVH values and a 20% material cost reduction vs. virgin resin, and diverts carpet from landfills.