IMX instrument panel – SPE Automotive finalist
- SPE Automotive Innovation Awards Competition 2015 finalist – Category: Process/Assembly/Enabling Technologies
- OEM Make & Model: 2014 Hyundai Motor Group Hyundai i20 supermini
- Tier Supplier/Processor: Hyundai-Mobis / HanilEhwa
- Material Supplier / Toolmaker: Hanwha L&C / Hyundai-Motor Co.
- Material / Process: Multiflex 3202 TPO / compression-injection molding
- Description: To eliminate scratches and a hard “plastic” feel, a 2-shot compression-injection soft IP was developed. The back-foamed TPO foil is compression-injected with the PP substrate, which in turn is integrally injection molded with the TPO passenger-side airbag door. All the work is done in a single tool. To increase foam softness and stability of the integral injection molding, the TRIZ method and design of experiments tools were used. The resulting part saves $10 USD/vehicle and reduces mass 300 g.