Floor rocker reinforcement – SPE Automotive finalist
- SPE Automotive Innovation Awards Competition 2015 finalist – Category: Safety
- OEM Make & Model: 2015 FCA US LLC Jeep Renegade SUV
- Tier Supplier/Processor: Proma Group / Redstamp
- Material Supplier / Toolmaker: SABIC / Redstamp
- Material / Process: Noryl GTX 910 MPPE/PA / injection molding
- Description: An optimized MPPE/PA 6 honeycomb geometry in a plastic/metal hybrid proved to be a very efficient energy-absorbing crash-box structure in this floor rocker reinforcement. Not only is the component E-coat capable, but it is very easy to assemble into the vehicle’s BIW. Since the plastic honeycomb is integrally attached to 2 steel flanges during injection molding, no structural adhesives are needed. The mixed-material solution took 1 kg of weight out of the BIW, saved approximately 10%, and contributed tooling savings vs. previous steel solutions.