Direct fascia-mounted sensor – SPE Automotive finalist
- SPE Automotive Innovation Awards Competition 2015 finalist – Category: Safety
- OEM Make & Model: 2015 Ford Motor Co. Ford Mustang sports car
- Tier Supplier/Processor: MacLean-Fogg Co. & Ford Motor Co. / MacLean-Fogg Co.
- Material Supplier / Toolmaker: LyondellBasell / Industrial Automation LLC
- Material / Process: Hifax TYC 852X TPO / injection molding
- Description: A flexible pedestrian-protection crash sensor bracket injection molded in plastic with an embedded metal stud is sonically welded directly to the fascia skin to decrease signal noise and improve response time of the deployable hood system. The flexibility of the design helps the bracket to conform to different fascia contours, allowing for a single bracket design to be used in multiple locations on the same vehicle, or across different vehicle lines. The final design saved 1 lb and $5 USD/vehicle and allows the hood to deploy faster for greater pedestrian safety.