- Faurecia makes the C4 Cactus lighter
- Borealis material in more than 33 different interior & exterior applications
- TPU from BASF for “Airbump”
The truly distinctive Citroën C4 Cactus of the PSA Group will be in the spotlight at the upcoming Fakuma 2014. Several companies announced the supply of materials and components.
First bumper that bounces back: TPU used for the “Airbump”
To protect the vehicle exterior from the impact of low-speed collisions and scratches, the Citroën C4 Cactus features so-called Airbumps which are fitted on the sides as well as the front and rear bumpers and which give the vehicle its distinctive look. The injection-molded Airbump made from thermoplastic polyurethane Elastollan AC 55D10 HPM of BASF is mounted to a polycarbonate and acrylonitrile-butadiene-styrene (ABS) support shell, forming flexible cavities that can be dented and still bounce back. The entire structure is fixed to the metal chassis. The Elastollan material can be pigmented so the Airbumps do not have to be painted. Thus, they do not require any special maintenance, which helps reduce the repair costs if an accident arises. They are available in contrasting colors: black, brown, light and dark gray. PolyOne developed a specialty OnColor Smartbatch color and additive technology that allows the panels to meet stringent UV stability, appearance and durability requirements.
As previously reported, the “Airbump” side protection is made by company Rehau at its Spanish site in Tortosa.
PP and TPO grades of Borealis in more than 33 different applications
Borealis announced that its materials are used in more than 33 different interior and exterior applications. This includes Borealis’ new tiger stripe-free PP and TPO grades for numerous exterior applications. For example, Daplen EH227AE, a 20% mineral filled elastomer modified polypropylene compound for injection moulding, is being used in the rocker panels. Additional grades are used in other applications, including interior trims, central console and dashboard.
Faurecia supplies interior & exterior components
Faurecia supplies several interior and exterior components for the C4 Cactus, including
• seat frames and mechanisms, creating large seats with a “sofa” feel in the front and a single-piece, 6 kg lighter bench in the rear.
• front bumpers and external trim on the trunk, including two-color Citroën logos (black centre and chrome edges)
• integral protective cladding on the vehicle’s front and rear bumpers and rear spoiler. The supple thermoplastic polyurethane (TPU) skin used for the cladding provides protection from day-to-day bumps and scratches and absorbs minor impacts
• the soundproofing for the firewall, which is now 50% lighter, the front and rear underlay and front carpets for the passenger compartment.
The components provided by Faurecia contribute significantly to weight reduction: the Citroën C4 Cactus is 200 kg lighter than the Citroën C4.