Carbon composite grille-opening reinforcement – SPE Automotive finalist
- SPE Automotive Innovation Awards Competition 2015 finalist – Category: Chassis/Hardware
- OEM Make & Model: 2016 Ford Motor Co. Shelby GT350 Mustang sports car
- Tier Supplier/Processor: Magna Exteriors / Plastcoat Div. of Magna International
- Material Supplier / Toolmaker: BASF Corp. / Tycos Tool & Die Co.
- Material / Process: Ultramid A3WC4 PA 6/6 / injection molding & resistant implant welding
- Description: This is the first GOR panel using short carbon fiber-reinforced PA 6/6 and the unique joining process of resistant implant welding (RIW) to produce a highly structural and lightweight part from a 2-piece injection-molded box section design. Versus the plastic-metal hybrid construction it replaced, the new material/process eliminated 5 steel stampings, reducing costs 75% and mass 24% (2.5 lb). Aesthetics also were improved, which allowed elimination of the beauty cover with its associated labor, cost, and weight, and the VOC emissions associated with rust-coating the steel stampings. Further, NVH values were improved by 2 Hz.