Blow-molded spoiler assembly – SPE Automotive finalist
- SPE Automotive Innovation Awards Competition 2015 finalist – Category: Process/Assembly/Enabling Technologies
- OEM Make & Model: 2016 General Motors Co. Cadillac ATS V Series
- Tier Supplier/Processor: Metelix Products, Inc.
- Material Supplier / Toolmaker: Trinseo / Metelix Products, Inc.
- Material / Process: Magnum 1250BG ABS / blow molding
- Description: This blow-molded spoiler features a complex triangular-shaped design and 1-piece construction while maintaining uniform wall thickness and product integrity. Achieving the complex deep-draw features required a unique 3-piece tool including a large slide that extends the entire rear edge of the mold cavity. Timed slide operations enabled the parison to expand with minimal stretch, and laser venting improved air evacuation for wall-thickness control. The final part meets aggressive styling objectives at 10% cost and 20% weight savings vs. conventional blow molding.