Active glove box system – SPE Automotive finalist
- SPE Automotive Innovation Awards Competition 2015 finalist – Category: Body Interior
- OEM Make & Model: 2016 Ford Motor Co. Lincoln MKX CUV
- Tier Supplier/Processor: International Automotive Components Group
- Material Supplier / Toolmaker: Advanced Composites, Inc., Mitshibushi IDK & IDC, & CGT /B&B Tooling Inc.
- Material / Process: ADX 5028, Thermorun TT850N / Multiple
- Description: To refine the active glove box system to meet luxury-segment customer expectations without losing functionality or safety, the door was hand wrapped and the inner door was flocked, eliminating cut lines for a separate airbag door. The occupant protection zone was increased by 35%, the inflator was precision tuned, and the bladder design was optimized, leading to a larger weld-surface area. A cost savings of $8 USD/vehicle and a mass reduction of 2.25 lb/vehicle were achieved and the vehicle received a 5 Star Frontal Crash Impact rating.