2-Shot selective chrome & paint finish panel – SPE Automotive finalist
- SPE Automotive Innovation Awards Competition 2015 finalist – Category: Process/Assembly/Enabling Technologies
- OEM Make & Model: 2016 Ford Motor Co. Ford Explorer SUV
- Tier Supplier/Processor: Summit Polymers, Inc. / Lawrence Automotive Interiors Ltd.
- Material Supplier / Toolmaker: SABIC / not stated
- Material / Process: Cycolac ABS, Cycoloy PC/ABS / injection molding
- Description: To meet program direction for a multi-colored finish panel within the same package space (without incremental space for attachments) meant a 2-shot selective chrome and paint solution in a single molded piece with similar materials was needed. In the first shot, PC/ABS is injected into a dual cavity tool on a rotary platen. In the second shot, a very-thin plateable ABS grade is overmolded. Dip plating plus masking and painting offer numerous finish options with lower gloss over plating and MIC applications. The result achieves a very-good bond, has zero-margin gap, and no BSR issues.