2-Shot molded crash pad garnish with 3D patterns – SPE Automotive finalist
- SPE Automotive Innovation Awards Competition 2015 finalist – Category: Body Interior
- OEM Make & Model: 2015 Hyundai Motor Group Kia KX3 CUV
- Tier Supplier/Processor: Hyundai Mobis / Dong Kook Ind. Co., Ltd.
- Material Supplier / Toolmaker: Samsung SDI / Woosung Precision Co., Ltd.
- Material / Process: Starex LX-0760 ABS / injection molding
- Description: This 2-shot injection-molded garnish features a transparent PC layer with unique, low-cost 3D patterns molded in and a second ABS layer with molded-in metallic color. The metallic ABS of the second layer showcases the 3D patterns molded into the transparent PC layer, creating an effect that cannot be reproduced using traditional decorative processes, such as insert-molded film, while lowering cost 56%. To eliminate weldlines and flow lines and improve the luminous appearance, size of the hybrid metallic flake system in the ABS was optimized and a hot/cool mold process was used.